I’m guilty of comparing myself to people I perceive as smarter, better, having more, etc than me so I end up feeling inferior to them. but the more I think about it, the more I realize that 2009 me would be in awe/pretty scared of 2014 me. I don’t need to compare myself to other people who are walking different paths: we aren’t meant to be the same.
I am becoming more. hopefully, the things I do in 2018 will impress 2014 me and so on. It’s hard to remember this but my personal development what matters in the end.
It’s been a very long time. Seems I start every post that way. I started my first year of university today…well I guess yesterday since it’s past midnight. This post might not make much sense as I’m dead tired. Some thoughts/goals/advice for myself I wrote down before falling asleep last night:
Live every day with intention.
Take initiative because no one else will vouch for you.
Do things that scare you to grow.
Take charge of your career.
Be nice to people.
Stay in touch with friends and family. Make new friends too.
I’m studying Honours Bachelor of Business Administration at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Canada. It’s a pretty small university—which I like—but there are an awful lot of stairs… I’m in the BSE RLC which basically means that everyone on my floor is studying in the same program as me and we are a community designed to get an edge in all things business. Professors will come visit us, we will get study tips and help for projects, learn how to network, etc.
I am haivng a hard time adjusting to living on my own for the first time. My family leaving was very difficult. My mom is my rock and I will have to stop relying on her so much… It’s a necessary change for my growth though. That’s what I tell myself. I’m forcing myself to be ready for flying out of the nest.
I need to go to bed now. Early start tomorrow. It’s O-Week, meaning an orientation week for first years. Will update sooner than the last time I promised that!
I have a galaxy woven between my ribs
and every blooming bruise is a dying star
no matter how much i try to forget you
you creep in again
every time I memorize the northern sky
you dip your fingers in and mix
and mix until
each constellation has melded with the others
from black to blue to fading green
the yellowing bruises on my ribcage
stay far longer than you
every movement reminds me
People love to think the new year will change them overnight, but I disagree. It’s just a moment arbitrarily decided to be called The New Year. It’s not going to give you magical powers to start exercising, stop procrastinating and become a better person. HOWEVER, I do believe we can all take this opportunity to START AGAIN. You can make realistic goals to help you become that magical version of you who you’ve always wanted to be. Personally, I never really set new year resolutions before but I am going to start this year. It’s a new year but not a new me just yet; I want to be the New Tiffany in twelve months time.
My resolutions for 2014:
- Take care of my body. Eat a healthy amount of food, no more, no less. Too often in the past I would overeat just because I had a large portion on my plate. I am going to control my eating habits to limit unhealthy snacks and eat slowly to digest and hopefully stop overeating. Another thing is that I often work so hard that I forget to drink water even when I’m thirsty, or lose track of time so I am forced to shower very late or very early. No more of this nonsense.
- Be creative. Specifically, write more. I said I was going to write a lot in 2013 but school and life got in the way. This year, I will be going a “Don’t Break the Chain” calendar to keep track of my writing habits. I want to write a novel by December 31, 2014. (If you don’t know what the “Don’t Break the Chain” calendar, watch charlieissocoollike’s video on the subject on YouTube to find out!)
- Read 52 books. I think this is pretty self-explanatory. I will take a picture and give a rating out of 5 to each book I read. These will be posted once a month right here on wordpress.
- Improve people skills. Yes I’m an introvert, but that’s not an excuse to stay at home all the time. I’m going to go to the parties I am invited too (not that there are that many…there’s only about three I can think of from now to June) even if I feel awkward. It’s time to get out of my comfort zone.
- And finally, improve my education. I am striving for a 90% average to get into the universities I applied to. I think it’s around 88% right now so I must do better! Plus, I am making a resolution that no matter what happens, I will try to make the most of where I end up in September. I will not wallow in tears freshman year of university if I don’t get into my first choice.
What are your resolutions? Suggestions on mine?
Here are some selfies and photos taken of me that are representative of my year. Some are milestones and some are just crazy adventures that happened along the way.
Birthday, February 2013.
Semi-formal dance, March 2013.
Charity ball, April 2013.
End-of-school-year party, June 2013.
My first vlog, July 2013.
Versailles, France, July 2013.
Eiffel Tower, Paris, July 2013.
Beach party, August 2013.
Les Miserables in Toronto, November 2013.
Christmas, December 2013.
This year has felt oddly long, I don’t know why. I didn’t think the first half of these were from this year until I put some thought into this photoset. I’m so glad my blog has grown this year and I’m really proud to have gained many more followers (although you guys never talk to me!) and I hope you continue to enjoy my posts. Thanks for a great year, wordpress.
See you in 2014!
Oh man. I don’t know how I managed to lose so much time. I can’t believe there are only a few days left before Christmas! I could have sworn I posted a blog just a couple of weeks ago but apparently I haven’t been writing since mid-October. That is positively insane. Writing is one of the only things that quiet the chatter in my brain.
Guess this blog isan update on my life, so here goes:
I applied to six Ontario university programs in November. They’re all business/commerce programs and pretty competitive as well. Dunno if my marks are up there but I have to take the chance, right? Since most of them are due early February, I’m working on filling out supplementary forms at the moment. I hope to finish at least one draft of them all by the end of Christmas break. More exciting is my application to LAW SCHOOL in the UK. I am on draft nine of my personal statement but I still don’t know what I’m trying to say… That’s due on January 15th so I slave over it every day.
I have to finish two essays in the next two weeks but I don’t know what I want to say. One’s my English ISP and the other is my law ISP. If anyone wants to talk to me about feminist literary analysis or American drone strikes I’d be so happy.
That’s all I’m going to say about academia today. On to my personal life. I went to a party two evenings ago for one of my best friends. It was for his birthday but also Christmas but also a celebration because we’re in the last year of high school. At one point it got emotional when people did impromptu speeches about how freaking awesome our group is. I don’t know how to leave these people when we all separate to different universities next year. (Of course the saddest song on my iTunes starts to play just as I write this paragraph.) I was biting my tongue really hard to keep breathing normally. Speeches like that make me teary.
This is a moment in my life where I feel like I’m playing a game of chicken against every other 17 year old. We are all driving towards the edge of the cliff and trying to be braver than all the others…trying to be smarter and snatch spots at the best universities. Teachers, parents, mentors all egg us on and encourage us to fall over and get on with the next part of life.
The gravel crunching under my wheels is so loud. I’m teetering. I’m about to fall off, but not before I pass calculus.
the boy with bony hands and calluses on his fingertips loves
the girl he calls perfection
a true angel
and feels unworthy of her
he says “i’m monstrous”
he sees his chapped lips
(the bottom one chewed on when she is around)
and bruised elbows
(from spinning into sharp corners to hide)
she says “you’re beautiful”
just look at your warm hands
(carving secret messages out of steel strings)
and your pink lips
opening to reveal barking laughter
(not to mention the warm embrace you give your mother
when you show her your science fair medal and she cries)
you never saw yourself until you saw yourself in her eyes
and so for the
since you met her